Parish Updates - Pax Christi Catholic Community
Thursday, May 21, 2020
Dear Members of Pax Christi,
On April 23, you received notification that Pax Christi applied for and received a forgivable Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. This action was taken to ensure that Pax Christi would continue to flourish even with the numerous uncertainties created by COVID-19. At the time of the application, the parish acted in good faith and with guidance from the Archdiocese and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Specifically, we certified that
current economic uncertainty makes this loan request necessary to support the ongoing operations of the applicant.
On April 23, the U.S. Treasury issued new guidance which states that borrowers must consider
their ability to access other sources of liquidity sufficient to support their ongoing operations in a manner that is not significantly detrimental to business.
The Treasury further stated that any borrower that applied for a loan prior to the issuance of this guidance and repaid the loan in full by May 18 would be deemed to meet the required certification in “good faith.”
The members of Pax Christi have always been very generous in their financial support of the parish. The leadership of Pax Christi has stewarded those generous gifts. As a result, we have built a cash reserve account over the past decade. Given the additional guidance and new criteria for the terms and certification of the PPP loan by the government, Pax Christi’s Finance and Development Council and the Executive Leadership decided unanimously on May 11 to return the funds without penalty. Pax Christi will draw from this cash reserve if necessary during the coming months and years to continue meeting the needs of our community.
The lifting of some of the stay-at-home restrictions in Minnesota have allowed us to plan differently for the future as a faith community. Staff were able to resume in-office on-site work on Monday, May 18. Office hours are 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday thru Thursday, and Fridays from 8:00am until noon, by appointment only with staff. The staff continue to work on plans on safe procedures for when we are able to gather more fully in the worship space on the weekends for Mass. The Live Stream will continue beyond the pandemic. However, we are able to offer the following with provisions:
• We are open for private prayer in the Thomas Merton chapel and the reservation chapel. Please contact Sally Bergum at 952-405-7229 to make a reservation, as one person at a time is allowed in each space. Please wear a mask while in the building.
• Weekday Masses on Tuesdays and Fridays will be held in the worship space for nine people beginning Tuesday, May 26 at 8:30am. Please wear a mask while in the building. The doors to the church will be open at 8:15am. You are asked to RSVP your anticipated attendance at Mass to Sally at 952-405-7229. Please note only RSVPs will be taken to ensure the safety of all.
• I will begin to hear confessions on a more regular basis again at 4:00pm each Saturday, beginning May 23, on the patio outside of door #1. Those who wish to celebrate this sacrament can park near door #1, wait for the person who is celebrating the sacrament to be finished, and then come forward to receive the sacrament. Again, please wear a mask.
• We ask all parishioners to prayerfully consider the directives of the governor that those with underlying conditions and who are 65+ years old to take extra precautions, with staying at home still strongly encouraged for your safety.
• The bishops of Minnesota have written a letter regarding their recommendation to defy the governor’s orders on the number of people allowed in a faith community gathering. The Archbishop has given wide discretion to pastors and parishes on when and how to reopen, and that the obligation for Sunday Eucharist continues to be suspended until further notice. More will be communicated in the future regarding the parish’s next steps.
Soon you will be receiving the June Pax Christi news magazine. This will be the last hard copy for the next few months as the parish is changing publishers, and because of the effects of COVID-19, they will not be ready to publish until the fall. We will email the electronic version of the magazine beginning in July. If you ARE NOT ALREADY receiving our weekly eNEWS communication via Flocknote, please be sure to give us your email address using the link
or leave a voicemail message at 952-405-7221. If you do not have an email address and wish to receive a hard copy of the magazine, please leave a voicemail message at 952-405-7221 with your name and address and we will be happy to mail one to you.
Fr. Mike Byron, Pastor
Keeping the Faith
resource page -
Thank you for your financial generosity that supports the ongoing ministries and operations. If you can, please donate -
Can we pray for you? We invite you to submit your prayer request using Pax Christi’s online prayer form -
. Our prayer team is ready to pray for you and/or your loved ones. If you would like to pray for those in need of prayer, visit our prayer wall -
Although the building is closed, the outdoor labyrinth and the path around the pond is available for your quiet reflection and prayer, with the ability to breathe in the goodness of God who remains with us during these challenging times.
Please don't UNSUBSCRIBE without reading this:
Please visit this link -
- to update your user preferences. If you have questions, please contact Melissa Nault, Communication Arts Director, 952-405-7221, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
on Thursday, May 21 at 1:05PM